Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.Duo's "Laurel" boots come in sizes 5 to 13 in calf circumferences up to 20"
By day, we blog. By night, we scour the internet for boots that fit wide calves. (Our mom would probably tell us that if we spent less time in front of the computer, we probably wouldn't have this wide calf problem to contend with. She's probably right, but oh well. Hi mom!)
What we spend so much time looking for is not the stretchy cop-out kind of boot with the elastic bit at the back—we want proper leather (or animal-friendly pleather) knee-high shafts that fit without cutting off our circulation. If there's a little leeway to tuck our jeans in, even better. Here are some of our favorites so far this season (listed with measurements after the jump). We've only included brands and websites that we know legitimately offer wide-calf boots—companies that measure the calf circumference, not companies that just tag random boots as "wide calf," leaving the customer in a game of boot-roulette. If you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them! Email us or leave your picks in the comments.
· "Laurel" classic stiletto dress boot, $235 at Duo Boots comes in leather or suede and in women's shoe sizes 5 to 13 in calf circumferences from 12" to 20".
· Ros Hommerson "Maine" knee-high boots, $199 at Wide Widths are available in brown leather, black leather, and black suede and come in sizes from 7 to 12, widths M to WW, and calf circumferences 17.75" to 19.75".
· "Sasha" cuffed navy knee-high slouch boots, $68, from Torrid are made from animal-friendly man-made pleather and come in sizes from 7 to 12, fitting calf measurements from 18.2" to 20.2".
· "Damask" sleek riding-inspired brown leather over-the-knee boots (also available in black leather), $400 at Duo Boots, are available in sizes 5 to 12 and in calf measurements from 12.25" to 19.25".
· Ayla Boots' "Manhattan" is a great pair of everyday workhorse boots, $190 from the Shoe-Store, that come in black or brown distressed leather in sizes 7 to 12 and in calf measurements from 15" to 18".
· David Tate "Ranger" boots, $190 at WideWidths.com, are available in black or chestnut leather and come in sizes 6 to 13, widths W to WW, and calf circumferences from 17" to 20.25".