Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The semi-annual seasonal Barneys New York sale has just gotten underway today with first discounts up to 40% off retail prices. Not everything has gotten price-slashed yet—some of the major statement pieces from this season probably won't be discounted until after Thanksgiving or even Christmas. But there are tons of great luxe sweaters, boots, and other designer winterwear pieces that have had their prices chopped. Here are some of our favorite first picks:
1. Costume National riding boot, $549 (orig. $915): Brown knee-high boots are the winter footwear must-have this season. The antiqued finish on these shiny riding boots make them stand out from the mousey-brown crowd.
2. Lutz & Patmos belted cardigan, $389 (orig. $650): It's the last season of Lutz & Patmos, and boy are we going to miss the brand's cozy luxe sweaters.
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs "Saddlery" perfect purse, $199 (orig. $278): Forest green with a striped cross-body strap puts a little prep in our step.
4. Co-op "New Ianna" black flats, $179 (orig. $295): Baby-soft ballet flats are super-comfy, but get ruined in the winter. We're looking for a tougher pair and these sure fit the bill.
5. Henry Cuir "Trapeze" tote, $799 (orig. $1,350): This leather carry-all replaces our summer and fall canvas totes—its understated luxury goes with everything we're wearing this season.