Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Velvet bows are not just meant for the Christmas tree—instead, they’ve been seen all over the runways from Marc Jacobs to Anna Sui and are an essential to your fall and winter wardrobe. Racked trendwatcher Donna Kim picks six of her favorite velvet bow pieces that are in stores now.
1. Velvet bow clutch, $198 at Juicy Couture: Available in four rich colors, this clutch is roomy enough for all your essentials and dresses up any outfit instantly.
2. Dustbowl hat, $175 at Barneys New York: A velvet hat adds youthfulness to an outfit and keeps your head warm during the wintery holidays.
3. “Anywhere” velvet bow clip, $40 at Tarina Tarantino: Adorned with shiny Swarovski crystals, this bow clips anywhere from your hair to your purse to add a feminine accent.
4. Green velvet booties, $28 at AMICLUBWEAR: The entire bootie is made of emerald velvet with flirty ribbon details—would look fantastic with cropped black skinny jeans and a crème-colored blouse.
5. 3.1 Phillip Lim “Edie” bow-embellished velvet bag, $695 at net-a-porter.com: Edgy meets sweet with this lavender-mauve handbag with rockstar-stud detailing on the strap and the slouchy bow in front.
6. Velvet bow body suit, $48 at Nasty Gal: A slimming body suit works perfectly under a skirt or wide-legged jeans to achieve a ballerina meets vixen inspired look.