Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Narciso Rodriguez, Abigail Breslin, Susanne Bartsch, Calvin Klein, Steven Klein, and David Barton via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- What's going through Abigail Breslin's head at this very moment?
- The old boys' club. (L-R) Calvin Klein, Narciso Rodriguez, David Barton and Steven Klein
- Calvin Klein, Narciso Rodriguez, David Barton and Steven Klein via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Marc Jacobs makes his entrance with two of many bags filled with toys
- David Barton helps Marc Jacobs bring in all the toys
- Narciso Rodriguez, David Barton and Marc Jacobs via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Abigail Breslin via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Abigail Breslin and Marc Jacobs via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Narciso Rodriguez, Marc Jacobs, Abigail Breslin and David Barton via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Party mainstay Richie Rich poses with his favorite toy
- DJ Mia Moretti and Richie Rich via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- Real Housewives of New Jersey alum Dina Manzo
- Kelly Bensimon via Seth Browarnik/worldredeye.com
- David and Phillipe Blond of the Blonds
It was like Halloween came two months late or ten months too early at David Barton Gym's 10th Annual
Bacchanal Toy Drive, which raged on this past Friday night. The annual blowout-for-a-good-cause was hosted by fashion and nightlife all-stars Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Narciso Rodriguez, photographer Steven Klein, Susanne Bartsch and her separated husband and gym owner David Barton.
Abigail Breslin, NY/NJ Real Housewives Dina Manzo and Kelly Bensimon and a bevy of crazy costume wearing revelers in various stages of dress and undress all brought new and unwrapped gifts to the fête aiding in David Barton's goal of collecting its 200,000th toy, which were all donated to St. Vincent's Medical Center, Mount Sinai Hospital HIV Program, New York Presbyterian Pediatric Studies, the Family CareCenter at Harlem Hospital and other children's charities.
A very dressed down and smartly-layered Narciso Rodriguez was one of the first to arrive with his donations. Inspired by the cause and the toys all around, the designer told us his favorite growing up was Mouse Trap. As for memorable grown up presents that he's received, the designer was a bit coy. "Wow, gee...I’ve gotten so many great gifts, I feel like if I say one, I’ll be in trouble." But after some prompting, he did joke, "GI Joe? Grown up GI Joe," he said with a mischievous smile.
Marc Jacobs brought so many toys (all in Marc Jacobs shopping bags no less—there's always an opportunity for branding) that he needed an entourage of modelesque young men to haul in the bounty. We heard that the designer's spoken word talent is making an appearance on Diddy's upcoming album "Last Train to Paris". Not to worry though, Marc Jacobs doesn't plan on entering the world of hip hop anytime soon. "I wouldn’t have a rapper name and I wouldn’t be a rapper," scoffed the designer. "I’m very happy being a fashion designer who doesn’t rap."
An absolutely adorable Abigail Breslin, looking lovely in a festive ruffled frock and studded knee-high boots (my, they grow up fast) came in with a huge Santa-sack full of gifts. "I was at Toys "R" Us and I kind of went crazy reliving when I had toys," the actress excitedly told us. "And so I brought like all of my old favorites like Mr. Potato head and baby dolls and some games that I used to love like Don’t Wake Daddy."
As for what the teenage actress has on her holiday list now? "Well, now I kind of want toys because I like went crazy today," said the 14-year old. "Um, What do I want? What I’ve been wanting most is—there are these things the store sells calls Spirit Hoods—and they’re so cool and so that’s sort of what I’m asking for." Spirit Hoods, it would be smart to send over some plush animal-themed gear over to Abigail Breslin right about now.
Calvin Klein rolled in a bit later, also with a couple signature Calvin Klein-model-looking helpers to carry in all his donations. "You know what, it’s just a grab bag and we just went to the store and we started just grabbing everything," Calvin told us after we asked what he brought. "And I can’t even describe them, I just said give me as many as we can carry out and that’s it."
We later wondered what was going through cute, impressionable Abigail Breslin's mind while posing for a group shot with Calvin, Narciso, David, Steven and a bouffant-coiffed Susanne Bartsch. At one point, the teen looked mildly terrified. Then Calvin Klein playfully lifted up the über-mini dress and fishnet wearing Susanne Bartsch and her butt-cheek came awfully close to hitting poor little Abigail right in the head.
The stars all headed upstairs to what we imagined and later realized to be a straight-up bacchanal, featuring costumed performance art involving what looked like a leather g-string wearing monkey (in the fray, we at first thought he was a Satyr) and a drag queen (maybe?) lipsynching to Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Absolutely amazing.
· DavidBartonGym [Official Site]