Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Love, Frank loves giving (as well as receiving) and in the spirit of this—the holiday season—we bring you the Love, Frank Gift Guide. Covetable giftables for style-minded guys. Today: Upgraded hipster classics for the sometimes-sleazy scenester in your in your life (and for Frank, if you're so inclined—hint, hint).
1. Look closely—these Vans are actually slip-ons, the laces are printed. God knows Mr. Skinny Jeans needs a new pair to replace the swampy, hole-riddled pair he's had since high school—and now he won't have to choose between a slip-on or a lace-up. Aside from yellow they come in blue, brown and turquoise. And, they're on sale: $19.99 to $29.99 at Journeys—from $44.99. At that price get yourself a pair, too.
2. Chances are he has a motorcycle jacket. And, chances are it's filthy and just about a quarter past weathered (in other words: Pretty worn out). We like this version—by Marc by Marc Jacobs—because it's fashioned from a non-traditional off-black jersey. That means it's softer than your average moto and ripe for the layering. Grab it for $238 at Nordstrom's website.
3. Ah, the black and white striped tee: Ubiquitous, and for good reason. But a little deviation never hurt anyone—that's why we're loving this ASOS-branded version from said British all-clothes-for-all-people website. Cool gray stripes, an almost-boat neck and not-quite long sleeves—and, hey, it's only $34.48.
4. Let's give that messenger bag a little break, shall we? These L.L.Bean totes are rough-and-tumble indestructible and the camo-print (and it's a good camo-print) gives it a bit of an edge. The man-sized extra large iteration is $30 at the outfitter's home site; and we know from experience that it can handle a stack of records or a 12-pack. Ooooo, cute gift idea! Deliver it with the PBR already inside.
5. We love love love Ray-Ban sunglasses—especially the Wayfarer and Clubmaster. But we can't wear them anymore because everyone and their mom got a pair in the last 24 months (we seriously want to light the white ones on fire—while the wearer is wearing them). So let's collectively give the 'Bans a bit of a rest and try something new. How about these rounded schoolboys in olive-tortoise. They're by Illesteva and sell for $160 at Gargyle.
6. Who doesn't want a hot pink Comme des Garçons belt? Seriously, if they say they don't they are lying. And this is a serious bump up from the red canvas army surplus belt your hipster never wears (the tighter the jean, the less they droop). But, still—hot pink Comme des Garçons! It's on sale now at Barneys for $79—from $130.