Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
It's nearly January and we're in the throes of retail discount-mania! But as the saying goes: All sales are created equal, but some are more equal than others. Or, um, something like that, we think. The point is, while every store seems to be having a 60% off sale this January, retail analysts are telling us that the first month of the year is traditionally better for getting certain discounts on specific product categories. The folks over at Shop it to me have assembled this list of buy-it-now-ables for Jan '11:
· Women’s skirts could average 52% off (tapered, ladylike styles are not only on-trend, but classic)These items, they say are "more on sale" in January than they are any other time of the year. (Well, isn't everything?) As for fellas, Shop it to me advises: "As far as menswear, the best deals are likely to be found on casual pants and shirts, as well as belts."
· Women’s shorts could average 53% off (look for ones in wool, dark denim, or even sequins)
· Swimwear could average 58% off (avoid the dreaded dressing room by buying online)
· T-shirts could average 50% off (find slouchy, oversize styles to pair with leggings or slim-cut jeans)
· Belts could average 45% off (wide leather styles are especially good for adding shape to a loose-fitting cardigan)
· Casual pants could average 51% off (cargoes are still the way to go through spring)
· The Sales Don’t Get Sweeter Than This: The Best Things to Buy In January [Shop it to me]