Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Remember when the only silly inclement weather trend you had to contend with in public were novelty rainboots? Well, move over funny footwear, goofy headgear is the regress-to-childhood trend of the season. Every store we walk into, every ecommerce site we browse, we're finding heaps and heaps of knit headwarmers in the likeness of monkeys, lions, penguins, bunnies, and miscellaneous backyard mammals. Keen to gird your brain in funny animals? Here are some of our favorite cute winter hats.
1. Spirit Hoods leopard print hat, $129 at ShopAkira.com: A favorite of the Kardashian sisters, this pretty full-on faux-fur leopard-print hood features ends long enough to wrap around your neck. For, you know, the complete effect.
2. Nepal animal hat, $22 at OnePoster.com: Who doesn't love penguins? If you want to look like one, wear this hat.
3. Pom-pom hat, $15.99 at Zara: Winter-cream chic with the added fun of pom-poms—as ears!
4. Deluxe zebra face wool pilot animal cap, $39.99 at Amazon.com: What's black and white and toasty warm? This hat.
5. Hello Goodbye pom-pom hat, $75 at Kate Spade: Confession: We totally went to the store to try this one on. It's red, it's got pom-poms, and it says "Hello" on the front and "Goodbye" on the back. Too cute.
6. Knitwits Cookie Monster hat and mittens set, $40 at Barneys: They're blue, they're Googly-eyed—plus, the mittens are useful for eating cookies, as they'll keep your hands clean.
7. Crocheted panda hat with bow, $38 at ShanaLogic.com: Crocheted in a soft wool blend with cute wee black ears and topped with a polka-dot red bow—we could just die of cuteness.
8. Hello Kitty white Peruvian beanie, $20 at Hot Topic: Hello Kitty, you're a hat!
9. Marie Mercie faux-fur bear hat, $330 at Browns Fashion: This bear hat is 80% acrylic, 15% polyester, and 100% cute.
9. Knitwits delux sock monkey pilot hat, $32.99 at Punk.com: It's a sock monkey hat—deluxe, no less! Made from 100% New Zealand wool, which means it contains lanolin and is naturally waterproof. A waterproof monkey hat. Can't beat that with a stick.