Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
By far, hands down, one of our favorite things about flying domestically is the ever-changing wonderful amazing world of Skymall, the seat-back catalog of all things bizarre and absurd. Here are our nine favorite Skymall objets of the moment:
· The Meerkat Gang Sculpture is over two feet tall, and a deal at just $85
· This Basha the Sumo Wrestler Table is cast in quality designer resin and topped with tempered glass, allowing views from any angle, only $225
· An Elephant Sculptural Sconce adds a touch of the wild to any living area, and it only $29.95, but just doesn't go with our decor.
· The original Ark of the Covenant was built in accordance with Moses' vision at Mt. Sinai. This one is a deal in comparison, at only $69.95.
· Ever wonder why you couldn't just vacuum your pet? Well, now you can, using the Ecowash Animal Bathing System, only $999.
· Own a small pool not long enough to do laps in? Turn on your very own Swim Current Generator and swim to nowhere, against the current, for only $3,695. Best yet? It's portable—use it on your next vacation at the hotel pool.
· Ever want to just, you know, get in a box? How about a box filled with infrared rays? Now you can, with the Personal Infrared Sauna, yours for only $499.
· Farmer's tan be gone! No more worrying that you missed your ankles while self-tanning or accidentally wore ankle socks while outdoor all afternoon. The Solafeet Foot Tanner is here to the rescue, only $230.
· When Harry Potter looked in the Mirror of Erised, he saw his parents looking back at him, as if they were still alive. You can get one for just $69, but we're pretty sure you'll just see yourself.
· Skymall [Official Site]