Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Greeting from Aspen! Racked National is on the road this week, coming to you live from Colorado, courtesy of Aspen Fashion Week. We're here checking out the mega-rich town's cool-luxe-quaint shopping scene and getting a jumpstart on the latest in winter sports outerwear—top coldweather and ski-wear brands including Obermeyer, Kjus, Marmot, Danenmann Pure, Parajumpers, Helly Hansen, and D&E stage full-on fashion shows this week.
Kjus show at the Snowstage, outdoors!
Fun facts about Aspen:
· By last census, 5,914 people live in Aspen.
· The city resides about 8,000 feet above sea level.
· Famous part-time residents of Aspen include: David and Victoria Beckham, Lance Armstrong, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Goldie Hawn.
· According to 2008 data, the average price of a home/condo in Aspen was $1.795 million. According to Trulia, the average listing price for the week ending March 10, 2010, is $4.355 million.
· There's a Dior, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Prada, and Louis Vuitton in town.