Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
When Donna Karan's bias-cut jeans landed in stores last year, complete with a price tag of $595, there was an outcry in the mainstream media—are the jeans' slimming properties really worth $595? For spring 2010, Balmain sees your $595 and scoffs. The uber-fashion house-of-the-moment shuts down the denim wars with its $2,051 jeans. Game. Set. Match.
Here are some other expensive-denim contenders for spring 2010:
· Balmain denim biker jeans, $2,051 at Luisa Via Roma
· Mastermind Japan's skull button ankle jeans, $1,412 at Farfetch
· Dolce & Gabbana crystal pocket jeans, $1,283 at Farfetch
· Roberto Cavalli cutout jeans, $1,835 at Bergdorf Goodman
· Donna Karan relaxed city jeans, $550 at Saks Fifth Avenue
· Current/Elliott "The Crop" skinny jeans, $584 at Shopbop