Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In light of the prepster revival in fashion, WWD visited three prep schools in the Northeast—Concord Academy, Milton Academy, and Phillips Andover—to find out what the real preps are wearing. It reminded us what being a teenager was all about—going shopping without tons of money and looking for your own sense of style without meandering too far from the mainstream. We're obsessed.
· 18-year old Hannah shops at Gilt, Club Monaco, J. Crew, Banana Republic, and The Consignment Closet, a local store. Her favorite wardrobe item is a pair of black suede cutout boots, and she prefers to get her style inspiration from magazines rather than online.
· 15-year old Camerin describes herself as a jock, spends $400 a school year on new clothes, loves her (three pairs of) Converse All Stars, and listens to The Beatles and Vampire Weekend.
· Kerry Joyce is 17 and from New Jersey; her favorite piece of clothing is a vintage Donna Karan skirt she got from mom's closet. She reads Garance Dore's blog regularly and love "academic men's wear of the Twenties."
· 17-year old Marilyn reads Tommy Ton's blog, loves her Chanel purse and J. Crew beige boots, spends $100 to $200 a month on clothing, and is into "clean, modern basics."
· 16-year old Alexandra is from New Zealand, shops at Louis Boston and Urban Outfitters, loves her two pairs of Chanel boots, and listens to Bob Dylan and mash-ups from Girl Talk.
· Amelia is 17 and the co-founder of her school's fashion blog. She describes her style as "girly vintage-eclectic with nods to 90s grunge." She buys her clothes on eBay and Modcloth.com and spends about $50 a month.
· 18-year old Daphne loves ultra-high heels, and prizes her four-inch high Tory Burch boots. She spends about $100 a month on clothing, and looks at Style.com and Elle.com online. She loves glam-rockers like David Bowie and the New York Dolls.
· Daysha is 17 and is Concord's student body president. She loves 50s-era hats, wigs, and hairpieces. She spends $100 during school breaks on clothing, shopping at Delia's, AJWright, Forever 21, and Fredflare.com