Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
More than just a pretty fragrance, Hanae Mori's No. 1—the limited-edition scent that's first in the company's series of Eaux de Collection perfumes—is imbued with energy found in nature:
· Approximately 30% of the power needed to create and bottle the fragrance in France comes from solar and wind power.Gimmicky? Sure. But we give them credit for thinking outside the proverbial box—or the perfume bottle, as the case may be.
· Part of the proceeds from U.S. sales benefits Clean Air-Cool Planet, an organization dedicated to finding and promoting solutions for global warming.
· America's six female state Governors have received debut bottles as have America's female Olympic gold medalists
· Hanae Mori Parfums is being launched into space—the company's name will be inscribed on a DVD mounted on Japan's IKAROS sun-powered spacecraft.
· Hanae Mori No. 1 Eau de Toilette, $95 for 3.4 oz at Nordstrom