Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
This Balmain T-shirt costs $1,625. That's not a typo and this is confounding on many levels. One: Why is a ripped cotton T-shirt $1,625? Two: Did the buyers at Net-a-Porter really think this shirt would sell at this price? Three: What was the wholesale price, like, $400?
Here are five things we found that cost less than this Balmain tomfoolery. Five things we'd rather spend our less-than-$1,625 on.
· Yves Saint Laurent draped silk dress, $1,490 at Net-a-Porter
· Ann Demeulemeester wedge sandals, $1,180 at Aloha Rag
· Lanvin ruffled zip-front dress, $1,220 at Bergdorf Goodman
· Givenchy small Pandora Pepe messenger, $1,595 at Barneys
· Jil Sander pleated skirt, $975 at Neiman Marcus
· Balmain ripped T-shirt, $1,625 at Net-a-Porter
· This Will Cost You $1,625 [Sofie Pavitt]
· Balmain's $1,625 slashed army T-shirt [HuffPost]
· A $1,625 T-shirt, holes included [CocoPerez]
· A T-shirt you won't find in the Neatorama shop [Neatorama]
· WTF: Balmain's $1,600 slashed T-shirt [Lipstick Diaries]
· What’s Cotton, Ripped & $1,625? [Fashionista]