Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Phillip Bloch, Chanel Iman, and Veronica Webb, via Guest of a Guest
Ever wonder how much stylists like Rachel Zoe make? Celebrity stylist Phillip Block, whose celebrity clients include Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams, talked to The Cut and breaks down how much a star will spend to get ready for a major red carpet event—like Sunday's Academy Awards:
· Stylist fees: $1,000 to $1,500 a day for Bloch's services. He'll probably spend two days working on an Oscar dress. (He says other stylists claim to charge $5,000 to $6,000 a day, but he doesn't believe them.)
· Dress: $5,000 to $20,000.
· Shoes: $700 to $1,000.
· Hair and makeup: $2,500 to $5,000.
· Tailoring: $500 to upwards of $1,500.
· Jewelry: $100,000 to a few million, but Bloch estimates the average cost of jewels on each starlet is about half a million. Exceptions include the pumpkin diamond Halle Berry wore to the '02 Oscars, which was a few million.
TOTAL ACCORDING TO BLOCH: $115,700 to a few million.
Hmm. We always thought that stars borrowed the dresses and jewels.
· Most Starlets Don’t Really Spend the Price of a House on Red-Carpet Styling [The Cut]