Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
A couple of weekends ago, Roxy took Racked surfing out in Montauk. It was (1) awesome and (2) hard to stand up all at the same time—though, post-surf, post-sand, post-saltwater, we began to totally understand why people give everything up, their lives, their homes, their jobs, to surf. It's freedom in a wetsuit.
If you're keen on learning to surf and don't know where to begin, may we suggest you start with the merch? In addition to a board, there are a ton of important garments and accessories that'll make your first attempt at catching a wave just that much smoother.
We hit up Roxy’s pro longboard surfer Kassia Meador—who’s competing this week at the Roxy Jam annual surf competition in Biarritz, France—for a list of her major top favorite must-haves for hitting the beach.
· A bar of Sex Wax, $2.95 at Amazon
· Shiseido face stick sunscreen, $26 at Macy's
· Depending on how cold it is, anything from one of my Roxy wetsuits, $154.95; or Roxy bathing suits, $40 (top).
· I always roll with a quiver of boards—my Takayama Model T, about $1,200, my Wegener Alaia, from $520; or my Manny Mandala 4 Fin.
· Roxy Unity board shorts, $38
· Free Flow Bag, $32
· Roxy New Wave sandals, $24
· Dear and Yonder surf DVD, $24.99