Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
This weekend we had our annual re-watching of 1970 tearjerker Love Story and, subsequently, have spent the last three days scouring the web for camel coats, striped scarves, opaque black tights, and cool new glasses, a la Ali MacGraw's character Jenny Cavalleri. At the top of our personal must-have list for fall? A classic, understated flap-closure shoulder bag.
We're super kind of over super-oversized and dragging around all that clanging hardware from yesterseason is giving us a crick in the neck. (Maybe we are having a retro-Coach moment? Diagnosis pending.) Here are some of our favorite new modestly-sized shoulder bags for fall.
· Leather push-lock satchel bag, $90 at Topshop
· "Jericho" pursette, $138 at J. Crew
· "Duke" croco cow hair bag, $325 at Reiss
· Yves Saint Laurent "Chyc Mini" shoulder bag, $2,015 at Luisa Via Roma
· "Patricia's Legacy" bag, $298 at Coach
· Mango "Chip" mock-croc cross-body bag, $64 at ASOS