Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Karlie Kloss
- Lime silk faille gown on Kirsi.
- Peony silk organza and gold leaf embroidered ruffle gown on Lindsey.
- Black silk faille and ivory swansdown dress on Andrea.
- Ivory silk gazar red carnation applique embroidered gown on Liu Wen.
- Black scalloped lace and tulle embroidered gown on Magdalena.
- Coco Rocha in black silk faille and black point d'esprit ruffle gown.
- Ivory silk shibori plaid jacket, ivory cotton silk shantung green shibori plaid skirt on Coco Rocha.
- The scene.
Oscar de la Renta did two very important things today, things which catapult his business into the fashion future. One: he livestreamed the Spring/Summer 2011 collection runway show for free over the internet, available for viewing on Facebook. Two: he immediately made available four Spring 2011 jewelry pieces for purchase online, only second after being shown on the runway. Ah yes, there is that third thing: he turned out gown after gown for which his celeb clients will openly drool.
Witnessing it all from the front row was Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel Zoe, the bulk of the Vogue and Elle teams, and a large contingency of buyers from Bergdorf Goodman. We actually abandoned our seat for a view at the end of the runway, catching the models with our camera just before they stepped off and into their next looks.
Karlie Kloss both opened and closed the show, which went from 1950s gala with swansdown stoles and black silk gowns to a floral story. An ivory gown embroidered with Oscar's favorite flower?the red carnation?made an appearance, and it shouldn't be too long before we see it reappear on a red carpet.
· Shop the Runway [OscardelaRenta.com]
· Watch (and Shop!) the Oscar de la Renta Show Live at 5pm [Racked NY]
· All fashion week coverage [Racked]