Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As the temperatures have dropped, we've piled on layers—and, somehow, plaids and stripes seem to be the thing this season. Here are some of our favorite striped shirts—broad, narrow, long, short, loose, tight—are a superb layering pieces to stock up on for the long winter ahead.
1. Alice & Olivia sequin-embellished silk-blend top, $160 (orig. $400) at TheOutnet.com: It's gold-and-black sequined—and, let's face it, this color combo has been in style since Studio 54, so you're pretty much guaranteed it won't fall out of favor anytime soon—and on sale at a steep 60% off discount. Win-win-sparkle.
2. A.L.C. striped fleece hooded top, $295 at Net-a-Porter.com: As a top layer, these stripes prep-up a standard-ish grey slim-cut hoodie. Warm and cozy and stripey, yay.
3. Tee Los Angeles striped T-shirt, $123 at FarFetch.com: Everyone needs a good T-shirt—even when it's cold outside! This broad-striped blue-and-white super-soft top captures the feeling of summer and holds it close while you're bundled up in sweater and cardis this season.
4. Striped "Danielle" drapey Dolman top, $253 at Alice & Olivia: Who'd have thought that stripes could be so feminine and charming. The dusty pink and brown color combination looks cozy enough to curl up in.
5. T by Alexander Wang striped sweatshirt, $118 at Saks Fifth Avenue: Wear alone—it's thick! it's a sweatshirt!—or layered underneath a hoodie for extra warmth. Alexander Wang adapts his louche silhouette to a more body-fitted, yet still casual look.
6. Boy striped shirt, $240 at Barneys.com: Super-classic, super-chic, and kind of French sailor-ish.
7. Striped knit top, $9.50 at Forever 21: Cheap and cheerful, this $9.50 Forever 21 top is extra-long and tied at the waist—flattering!
· All buy it now posts [Racked]