Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The holidays are a memory and spring goodies are trickling into all our favorite stores. But let's give reality a hug for a second—we still have a good, long haul of winter weather ahead of us. And, the Love, Frank Shopping Guide is here to help! A comprehensive selection of winter warmers await; we're going after form and function here, folks. And we're avoiding lumberjack clichés and all that electric-synthetic sheen you might find on a past-peak ski lift operator in Pennsylvania.
Today: Gloves! Different kinds for different looks and how to wear them—and nothing crazy-annoying bulky.
1. These are just cool. We can't help but love the way that checkery trim adds a jolt to that lovely, if staid, warm brown leather. We'd use them to amp up a business casual car coat or trench. Get them now for $68.86 at ASOS, they're by Ben Sherman.
2. Mittens aren't just for kids anymore—this set, by Jack Spade, comes in matte black wool. Fold back and button down the shell and you're left with fingerless gloves—perfect for cold weather iPhone fondling. And don't forget that signature touch of Jack Spade quirk—the knuckles spell out 'ROCK' and 'ROLL.' They're available for $95 at Zappos.
3. Another casual pair that happens to be tech-friendly—perfect for accessorizing that parka or barn jacket—these are fingerless-without-the-flap and have a little acrylic stretch for durability. By Brixton, we love the shade of brown and we love that they're $27—at Karmaloop.
4. Another Karmaloop find—these sage-green knit gloves have jaunty cream stripes and the length to protect the wrists of those guys—present company included—who struggle with long arms and short sleeves. Pair them with a duffle, a bomber or a shearling—they're by Freshjive and a mere $13.95, from $24.
5. Scotland-made of Scottish wool, these jaunty, woolly gloves will add a little punch to your parka or puffer without going hot pink-crazy. By Paul Smith, they're available on-line at Saks Fifth Avenue for $73.
6. A little luxury for overcoats and trenches and the dressier occasions they come along with—these are cashmere-lined and leather and really quite handsome. By one of Lord & Taylor's house collections—Black Brown 1826—they're available in three colors at the department store's e-commerce shop for a mere $49.99 (from $72).
· It's Cold Out, Guys: Six Sensible and Stylish Scarves [RNA]
· Love, Frank [RNA]