Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- London's line this morning at the Covent Garden Apple Store, via @henryholland
- On Fifth Avenue in midtown, early this morning, via @lauriesegallCNN
- Before dawn liner-uppers (there are six people there right now) at the Apple Store in DC, via @lukerussert
- And meanwhile, in Montreal, this was the scene early this morning, via @reneritchie
- Brooklynite @jerricakristine is dedicated. She arrived at 4:30 a.m. and was the 21st person in line.
People who have been camping out in New York City for more than two weeks: the Occupy Wall Street protestors and Jessica Mellow and Kennen Thompson, who've been parked outside the Apple Store at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue for—wait for it—17 days. Yup, 17 days. That means they were lined up before the iPhone 4S was even announced. They told Esquire:
Our first week, Apple was more than welcoming us to line up. But they were like, "There's not a product; you guys could be waiting for almost nothing." And we were like, "We know that something's coming. We don't care what it is." So we were in the plaza over there for the first week because they wouldn't let us camp out here and put up our gear. And then we finally got to line up here. We just have our sleeping bags, our chairs.Check out our gallery, above, of other line-ups around the world—well, mostly New York, one London, and one Montreal. We'll be watching the rest of the country this morning as people wake up and realize it's iPhone 4S day. If you're in line somewhere for the iPhone 4S, take a snapshot of the queue and send it to us? Thank you.
· Apple [Official Site]
· Why Is This Man Waiting in Line? [Esquire]