Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Ah, Tyra. The model-cum-mogul is always good for some quotes, and her interview in today's Wall Street Journal is no exception. She talks mostly about going to Harvard Business School and writing her book Modelland (which we read in its entirety, so you're welcome in advance). The interview is chock full of wacky Tyraisms, but we managed to narrow it down to a couple of winners.
1. "Do you know I did not know it was dystopian?"
Genres are hard! And we didn't know that you didn't know what you didn't know know know know.
2. "That's what my finance guy at my company said: "You're teen Tony Robbins."
So, you make people pay to listen to you talk?
3. "I love Roald Dahl. On my nightstand right now is "James and the Giant Peach," which I'm reading for the second time."
The next book in her reading list is Goodnight Moon.
4. "The second thing was she liked that she felt me, that kind of gay male thing that I do."
Being a straight woman is exactly the same thing as being a gay man. Like, we both love mani-pedis and Kelly Clarkson OMG!!1!
5. "My business before was based on me. But my marketing professor has taught me that it's about customer centricity and not about me centricity."