Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Programming note: We're in Canada. Well, one of us is, anyway. We were graciously flown north for LG Fashion Week (that's in Toronto, y'all), meaning there will be 100% more posts about Canada than normal. So no, it's not because we ran away with a Canuck—we're just here, checking out the local shopping scene, going to shows, and eating poutine.
We're not even staying at the Drake Hotel, but we're pretty obsessed with its gift shop. Not to be confused with the now-gone Drake in New York, this one's a boutique hotel smack dab in the middle of Toronto's indie art scene in West Queen West. Here are some things we loved: There's a bar on the roof that has a movie screen, they have a restaurant that changes theme four times a year (we love a good theme), and there's art, everywhere. But one of the real treasures is the gift shop—or the General Store, as they call it. We've picked 10 of our favorite products that we wish we bought, and put them right after the jump.
1. Desk Globe, $18: To plan your upcoming travels, of course. Or, just to look cool on your desk.
2. Animal Cup, $20: A cute cup or mug is all you really need to feel at home when you're not. Or if you're tired of running down to the hotel lobby to steal them.
3. Favorito Candle, $40: Make your hotel room smell nice, and then bring it home to make your own house smell nice. Plus, this red poppy candle can burn up to 70 hours.
4. Croissant Earrings, $32: OMG these are shaped like croissants. No further explanation needed.
5. Hourglass Necklace, $80: A sweet little necklace that's also functional, if you were baking bread or something like that.
6. Medium Crochet Plants, $28: There's really no legitimate need for these, but hey? When in Canada.
7. Nudie Glass, $20: But there is definitely a need for these.
8. Filson Briefcase, $295: Since it's inevitable that traveling leads to buying, why not purchase another carry-on to store new purchases?
9. S'more Making Kit, $10 (on sale from $20!): Great for a late-night snack if your hotel just so happens to come with a stove. If not, (try to) use that Favorito candle.
10. Gold Playing Cards, $22: Since Law and Order SVU doesn't stream instantly on Netflix in Canada (we tried, like, a million times), here's a set of gold playing cards to pass the time.
· General Store [The Drake Hotel]
· All Buy It Now Posts [Racked]