Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In one of his most recent Critical Shopper columns in the Times, Jon Caramanica declared: "It is time to annihilate plaid, to cast it out like witches from Salem, like Francona from Boston." So, plaid is dead. Fall always includes a slew of repetitive plaid shirts that range from the rustic to the dressy, but if Caramanica says it's dead, it's dead. Racked writer David Chen picks ten other options to get you through it.
1. Comme Des Garçons Play White Shirt, $255 at SSENSE: The minimalist (and cute) heart logo from Comme Des Garçons Play makes this simple white number the perfect going-out shirt for the guy tired of the zillion colors typically found in a plaid pattern.
2. Band Of Outsiders "Flag" Shirt, $236 at Oki-Ni: This short sleeve button-down with yellow and green flags on it looks great by itself or layered with a black cardigan for the fall.
3. COS Cotton Flannel, $81 at COS: Utility shirts are a must-have every fall season. This flannel from COS is a great add-on piece that can be worn by itself or over simple T-shirts.
4. Rodarte for Opening Ceremony Dress Shirt, $280 at Opening Ceremony: Taking inspiration from the forests of Norway, Rodarte's latest collection of menswear for Opening Ceremony is expertly tailored and provides a different alternative to the usual shirt.
5. Jil Sander "Evening Quilted" shirt, $460 at Oki-Ni: Planning to get dressy? The Jil Sander quilted white shirt shown here is a play on the must-have standard white one.
6. Gitman Brothers basic long shirt, $165 at Operning Ceremony: This Gitman Brothers x OC collaboration brings back the printed shirt in a fun, American flag design.
7. T/M color-blocked shirt, $475 at Opening Ceremony: Inspired by classic nautical stripes, Japanese designer Taiki Matsumura takes a whimsical approach to the traditional button-down.
8. Sidian, Ersatz & Vanes "Hirundo" shirt, $230 at Opening Ceremony: This classic color-blocked shirt done in black and gray hues is the perfect option for a casual weekend or going out.
9. Peter Jensen "Cats & Dogs" shirt, $192 at ASOS: We love animals here at Racked HQ. This white and black printed button-down with black cats is amazing. Period.
10. Vanishing Elephant "Alsdorf" shirt, $100 at Vanishing Elephant: This short-sleeved button-down with an Aztec-inspired print is a little summery for fall, but really, why rush into winter?
· All Buy It Now Posts [Racked]