Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Last week, we sampled a new Clé de Peau Beauté facial at their Bergdorf Goodman counter in New York. The facial--which alternated between warm and cold sensations as a way to shock skin cells--is part of their new Synactif system, which claims to purge your skin of toxins. Instead of filling in the face or sloughing off old skin cells, Synactif acts sort of like a cleanse, purifying your skin from within. Don't stress if you're not in New York, though - the facial is offered at other locations in the US, plus you can buy the products online if you want to try this at home.
1. A bar of soap. A bar of Clé de Peau fancy super-foamy-like-a-marshmallow-on-your-face soap, but soap nonetheless. This gets your skin clean and free of dirt, oil, and makeup. Then the actual facialing can begin.
2. Softening lotion. This replenishes moisture to your skin, targeting any discolored or dull spots.
3. Daytime moisturizer. Makes your skin look firm and radiant, plus helps protect against "environmental aggressors," aka all those toxins in the air or elsewhere.
4. Nighttime moisturizer. Good for overall skin health, but with a special focus on eyes and around the mouth. Extra awesome if you have dry skin.
5. Intensive cream. Full of fancy emulsion particles and is the perfect finishing touch. If you've ever wondered what the word "luxury" would feel like as a substance, you'll know now.
If you want to get the facial in person, contact the closest Bergdorf's location for availability.