Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Our mom's favorite newspaper, USA Today, found out that there are these flash sale sites where people can buy clothes and accessories on the internet, specifically one called Ideeli. Maybe we're jaded since shopping is our game, but the article didn't have a news peg except for some references to holiday shopping. We're always psyched to see the company get love, but this article just confuses us. Here are a few of our favorite we-knew-that-already excerpts.
1. These "merchants," as Ideeli likes to call them, sometimes get calls from manufacturers when stores return merchandise or cancel orders.
Wait, so merchants isn't a real word? Have we been making it up this entire time? And it's not just Ideeli who says that.
2. Ideeli (pronounced "ideally") placed No. 1 on Inc.Magazine's ranking of the nation's fastest-growing companies this year.
And to think, we had been calling it "Iddy-yeally" this whole time. Thanks, USA Today!
3. Decisions about what to feature at Ideeli for the holidays are typically made a few months and even weeks before the season.
Perhaps they even make those decisions as early as October?
4. The company occupies three floors of a building that also houses luxury brand Dolce & Gabbana and the more traditional designer Lafayette 148, which takes its name from the building's address.
Oh, so Lafayette 148 is in a building at 148 Lafayette? That is creative. Also, they'd better hope no crazed Ideeli fans show up unannounced at their office in New York.
5. When the buyers working for the discount fashion website Ideeli return from trips to designer showrooms in the "garment district" here, they're often as euphoric as shoppers who have found great deals.
So Lafayette 148 doesn't get quote marks but Garment District does? They're both real places.
· Ideeli Flash Sale Site Sells High Fashion for Less [USA Today]
· Here's a Sneak Peek at Ideeli's Holiday It Gifts [Racked]
· Ideeli Is Having a Kid Model Contest [Racked]