Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In an explosion of adorable, Simon Doonan interviewed makeup maestro Francois Nars, whose new makeup coffret is inspired by Kabuki. The topic: holiday beauty. Let's see if you can guess which of these quotes came from Nars and which ones came from Doonan!
1. "True red lipstick is both mysterious and dramatic. However, when it comes to choosing a red lipstick, there are no rules. Just go for what you are most attracted to."
2. "The best gift is a new lipstick. Rip it open and apply it straight away on Christmas morning! Voila!"
3. "I love Lady Gaga. She is the most influential person right now. She is fun and extravagant."
4. "Be bold, don’t be afraid and go for it! ... And if you don’t like it, take it off and try something else—makeup is not a commitment!"
5. "Between the yule logs burning and the blazing tree lights (and that extra glass of Sherry), a gal can get quite flushed in the cheeks."
Answers: 1, 3, and 4 are Nars; 2 and 5 are Doonan.
· Simon Doonan Puts Francois Nars in the Hot Seat [The Window]
· The 5 Best Outfit Descriptions from Simon Doonan's Article About Occupy Wall Street [Racked]
· Simon Doonan Will Be Designing PayPal's Holiday Windows [Racked NY]