Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As weather this season gets increasingly cooler, and Mother Nature teases us with gray skies, torrential rain, snow, mud and general drab, we've begun to yearn for the festivities to come, and we're look for an excuse to break out the brights. Here are eight winter coats we found that will help you stand out against any morose winter backdrop—and have style to boot.
1. Ted Baker "Adiri" coat, $326 at House of Fraser: This iris-color wrap coat is an easy piece to throw on during the winter to achieve a comfortable, yet put-together look.
2. Short green grosgrain tie coat, $150 at Topshop: This green round-collar coat with a tie is giving us a little bit of a regal prep-school feel. Its rich hue goes with almost anything, and the cut should comfortably fit almost anyone.
3. Azure collarless coat, $93 at Jane Norman: This affordable Jane Norman cold-weather coat is in one of the season's most common silhouettes, but the full blue color, ornamental epaulettes and oversized matte buttons make it not-your-average coat.
4. Moschino Cheap & Chic bow neck swing coat, $1,143 at My Wardrobe: With its hot '60s swing silhouette, attention-grabbing red color, and gold adornment the size of saucers, this one's a must-have.
5. Burberry Prorsum wool collarless coat, $1,930 at Matches: Burberry has turned out a coat in a color we can only describe as resembling cantaloupe meat. The color is so unexpected for winter—and in general—that we couldn't not include it on our list.
6. Halston Heritage faux fur coat, $297 at Net-a-Porter: So many things are fun about this little number from Halston Heritage. From the "H" adorned buckles to the grape-colored faux fur, to the engulfing cut, this coat is made for the statement-committed.
7. Clarendon foxglove pink tweed herringbone jacket, $1,100 at Mulberry: This jacket in all its amazing pink tweed herringbone glory looks somewhat like the ultimate cross between an Eisenhower jacket, a motorcycle jacket, and a pea coat. Thus, it is perfect (or that might just be our clear affinity for disk buttons talking).
8. Ochre 1923 mohair trim coat, $195 at Wallis: Wallis' affordable mustard mohair coat has the perfect touch of a showy fur collar to give you a glamorous ascension through a dreary winter world.
· For the Chilly Weather Ahead, Here Are 10 of Our Favorite Knee-High Boots [Racked]
· All Buy It Now posts [Racked]