Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
"Before I went to Paris, I knew the collection was going to be super-modern and slick," said celebrity hairstylist Oribe about the Armani Prive couture show, "so I had prepared several ideas for Mr. Armani—just a few options to keep the hair small and compact."
Because the models were all wearing sleek Philip Treacy hats, the hair mandate was: the tighter and the more controlled, the better.
Oribe's instructions on how to get the look:
1. After finishing blow dry of hair, make a center part and divide the hair into two sections.· Oribe [Official Site]
2. Hold or secure hair at the temple area on both sides—almost like you’re gathering pigtails—and spray Oribe Imperméable Anti-Humidity Spray ($38) lightly throughout to keep the hair smooth.
* With this wrap, you need to sweep hair from the left section over to the right side of the head, and vice versa?the hair will crisscross low in back make a turban shape.
3. Take the left section and wrap it around the back of the head, then sweep it up to the front right-hand side. Pin the hair in front, and anywhere along the way where you need to control the hair and keep it close to the head. It’s all about keeping the hair small and tight, and keeping a clean shape around the ear. As you go, you can use more Oribe Imperméable for streamlining hair and fly-aways
4. Complete the same process with the right section of hair. Secure with more pins, and use Oribe Imperméable when needed.
5. After the wrap process and pinning is complete, spray the hair with Oribe Superfine Hair Spray ($29) for shine, polish and hold.
6. Finish with a round of Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray ($34) if you want to keep the hair especially locked into place.
7. Once the hair spray is dry, you can remove some of the pins for a more polished look.
8. Top off the style with a hat or hairpiece, or just wear it alone.
*The key to this look is taking your time and keeping the hair smooth. It’s a beautiful, interesting way of wrapping the hair and evenly distributing it across the whole head. It’s OK to break the rules, as long as the end result is polished and even.
· All Oribe coverage [Racked]