Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
February is either made or ruined by Valentine's Day, depending on how you see it. Instead of bashing you over the head with hearts, Cupid motifs, and stuff like that, we're spending this week celebrating things like the colors red and pink. Today let's have a look at red handbags. We've noticed lots of women in fashion carry red bags as their day tote—see the fabulous Garance Dore—and got to thinking how a bright statement color in an understated silhouette of a handbag can really up the chic ante. Here are some of our favorites this season.
1. Burberry packable tote bag, $233 at farfetch.com: Tuck this away in your handbag or luggage for toting back your fabulous purchases later on. It's the luxury version of a reusable bag.
2. Givenchy medium "Antigona" bag, $1,541 at farfetch.com: We're huge fans of this huge duffel-type handbag (with a handy shoulder strap!) and, in red, it's got a lot more oomph than its black leather cousins.
3. Yves Saint Laurent "Lucky Chyc" leather tote, $1,102 at Montaigne Market: Soft and louche, this YSL tote screams Left Bank insouciance and effortless chic. Plus it's big enough to carry books or small children (just kidding).
4. Valextra "Caju" mirror tote, $2,990 at barneys.com: A structure handbag is a must for the most ladylike ladies among us, and, in this lipstick red hue, even a demure silhouette will stand out in the crowd.
5. Billykirk x Opening Ceremony red shopper, $180 at openingceremony.us: This red and blue bold, striped bag will be your spring warrior tote—for carrying everything from your computer to books to groceries.
6. Upwardly mobile satchel in King's College London, $135 at ModCloth: Think 60s British schoolgirl uniform accessories—this smart shoulder-strap book bag is the cherry on the pie of this year's ultra-collegiate casualwear trend.
· All buy it now posts [Racked]