Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here's a tip: Guys don't want candy or a teddy bear. And they definitely don't want flowers. We're also guessing most would rather skip the Valentine mob at a usually great restaurant, as well—those expensive prix fixe holiday menus (no substitutions); the 4pm or 10pm reservation (they've been booked since last February). So, in lieu of all of that usual Valentine's Day crap—peep our Love, Frank Gift Guide for style-minded guys on the eve of a really stupid holiday! And, hey, are you a guy without a Valentine? We fully support your treating yourself to any of the below ?
1. Banana Republic has a Heritage collection. It celebrates the safari-style roots of the brand with premium materials, interesting prints and an eye towards their archives. Frankly, it's some of the best stuff in their stores. Take this shirt for instance—an over-sized paisley in valentine red, it's $89.50 at their e-commerce site. We wholeheartedly approve.
2. Rodarte makes unisex sunglasses? And they don't cost $9000? Who knew? We don't really care whose name is etched onto these guys (they're actually Rodarte for Opening Ceremony)—they're fantastic and should put a smile on any receiver's face. An over-sized shape that flatters any skull; a jaunty, seasonally-appropriate hue; a relatively friendly price tag—$220. Get them at Opening Ceremony's website.
3. Perfect for your little design nerd (or magazine nerd, or Mad Men fetishist, or fashion maven): George Lois: The Esquire Covers @ MoMA. Highlighting a master of the magazine cover during a golden age of magazines, this book lets you to bring that breathtaking wall at MoMA home for keeps. It's Assouline, so by definition it's gorgeous and will never leave the coffee table. Get it from their website, it's $50 (Note: There's also a pretty amazing best of Penthouse book that we might have recommended—if it didn't retail for $550.)
4. Sometimes a publicist sends you something so outrageous and funny and on-point you can't not include it. Seriously: "Men who do more housework have more sex, according to a study in the Journal of Family Issues, and Dyson’s newest technology comes perfectly equipped for spaces small and large—it’s the Dyson Digital Slim—unlike any other vacuum you’ve ever tried." There you have it! Either way, who doesn't want a Dyson? Get this guy at Amazon for $299.99.
5. It's 4:20 somewhere—check this amazing roach clip pendant! It's spring-loaded to clutch whatever it is your fingers just aren't small enough to clutch. Sterling silver and on a 30-inch chain (long enough for passing!)—it's pretty adorable. Made by Miansai by Michael Saiger, you can order it at the designer's website for $230.
6. Jazz up your man's crusty old Timex strap with the help of J.Crew. We like the this pinkish Papaya iteration—it's so Valentine's Day! But you can grab it in any of over 12 colors. They range in price from $4.99 to $20—get one (or several) at J.Crew's website.
7. Flasks make your average lush seem a little classy—so why not elevate the functioning alcoholic in your life with this smart, leather-coated flask by Jack Spade? Order it for $125 from the brand's home site.
· Valentines For Dudes: An Amped Up Gift Giving Guide [RNA]
· Love, Frank [RNA]