Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
There comes a time in everybody's life when the winter doldrums get to be too, too much and one yearns for freedom from the tyranny of the cold-weather-boot. Say hello to some of spring 2011's most out-there footwear. Do you dare wear any of these extreme styles?
1. Iris Van Herpen ankle boot, $1,296 at Solestruck.com: Only 100 pairs of this handcrafted leather shoe are on the market. If you think it looks a whole lot like that iconic Alexander McQueen shoe from a few seasons back, the reason's because the designer, Iris Van Herpen, was a longtime collaborator with the late, great McQueen.
2. United Nude "Frame" sandal, $545 at Solestruck.com: United Nude is known for its gravity-defying trick-of-the-eye designs, but this spring offering takes things to a whole new architectural level with its sharp, angular black lines and criss-crossing straps.
3. Ballin feather detail sandal, $928 at Farfetch.com: In the world of fashion accessories, there's embellished, and then there's embellished. This pair of Ballin sandals falls into the latter category—its feathered-and-gemstoned heel is so soft and fluttery, one wonders whether the shoe might, at any moment, take flight.
4. Versace lace-up leather platform sandal, $1,495 at Net-a-Porter.com: Is it a sandal or is it a boot? Versace melds two shoe categories to create this skin-baring knee-high boot-sandal, um, bandal?
5. Jeffrey Campbell "Skate" shoe, $198 at Singer22.com: Inspired by ice skaters, this carved-wooden-sole Jeffrey Campbell peeptoe ankle boot comes in three colors—which, beige, and black.
6. Two-tone wide-heel sandal, $148 at Zara.com: Perhaps the least-extreme of all the shoes in this set, these Zara toe-ring sandals pushes the boundary with geometric colors that remind us of 60s go-go styling.
7. Gee Wa Wa "Flora" wedge, $180 at ShopAkira.com: It's all about the super-high platform this season, and these Gee Wa Wa sandals don't skimp at all in that department. Plus, the platforms are red suede. That fact, alone, is pretty extreme for 2011.
· All buy it now posts [Racked]