Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
One of this spring's must-have trends is a pleated skirt. Whether you prefer separates or a dress, pleats are available in every incarnation—silk, polyester, wool, satin, structures, slouchy, pull-on, zip-up, short, and long—this season. There's something for every occasion. Check out six that caught our eye.
1. Red pleated skirt, $70 at Topshop: This flippy, pleated bright red miniskirt is made of a diaphanous machine-washable (though we wouldn't want to be stuck ironing pleats) polyester. The easy, breezy silhouette hangs tough in a bold lipstick-red hue.
2. Proenza Schouler inverted pleat skirt, $965 at Farfetch.com: We're sort of in love with the broad horizontal striping on this inverted-pleat skirt. It's serious and substantial, made of wool-and-nylon (um, yeah, this would be a great skirt for earlier in the season, before it gets steamy summer hot), and kind of looks like what a rugby shirt would look like if it were a, um, skirt instead.
3. Silk crepe cutout dress, $545 at Orla Kiely: There's something so charming and retro about this dress, we can't resist it. The cutouts are daring—you'll either love 'em or hate 'em—but the short flutter sleeves are cool and comfortable without baring too much and the gentle flare of the skirt makes for a super-flattering silhouette.
4. Rachel Antonoff crimson and collars dress, $245 at Modcloth.com: Totally nautical-inspired without being bash-you-over-the-head nautical, you know? This big-collared sleeveless dress is perfect for easy daywear and can easily be styled up for a night out dancing with friends.
5. Zucca pleated jersey skirt, $520 at LaGarconne.com: A pull-on elastic-waisted jersey pleated skirt? We can think of nothing we'd rather spend our days in this spring. And this glossy, shiny pewter grey is so chic.
6. Rodarte x Opening Ceremony deep pleated skirt, $518 at Barneys.com: Rodarte x Opening Ceremony brings some serious flare and structure to this season's pleated skirt trend. We're loving the texture of this croc-embossed satin. Looks like something our grandmothers might have worn—and something that will likely cycle in and out of style for decades to come.
· All buy it now posts [Racked]