Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Net-a-Porter's semi-annual sale kicked off in fine fashion yesterday, with a bazillion designer items marked up to 50% off retail price. Here are some of our favorites that come in under the $200 mark.
1. Versace Miami Beach printed silk scarf, $186 (orig. $310): Since we prefer clothing to err on the side of simple in the summertime, it's nice to have some fabulously colorful accessories to dress up a simple look—this Miami-print Versace scarf is a great accent on a simple sheath, with a tank and shorts, or as a headscarf to keep your hair in place when zipping around town in your convertible.
2. Theory Alesandra striped silk dress, $159 (orig. $265): Stripes are so the thing this summer—especially striped dresses. This version from Theory channels the nautical trend in a just-this-side of casual fabrication (silk) that makes it a great day-to-dinner transitional piece.
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs Uriel silk-jersey cardigan, $140 (orig. $200): Things you need for summer just in case: a light sweater wardrobe. This thin silk-jersey cardi is the perfect shade of gray—it'll go with all the denim and nautical stripes in your wardrobe—but is chic enough to throw over a little black dress in case, you know, you need an office sweater or something to tuck in your bag for an evening out.
4. Rag & Bone chunky knit cardigan, $168 (orig. $240): Seaside evenings in the summertime can get awfully nippy. Take a chunky knit with you just in case. We're pretty much in love with this Rag & Bone number?and for anyone who's thinking ahead, this sweater will take you easily through fall as well.
5. Textile Elizabeth and James Robinson cotton-canvas parka, $182.50 (orig. $365): We don't care if we don't have to look at another jacket again (until late September, that is), but we don't mind this understated canvas number from Elizabeth and James. Just in case, you know.
6. Vince belted matte satin dress, $171.50 (orig. $245): Some of us have to, you know, work this summer. This simple, cool sheath will work just as well in the office as it will out for dinner or casual summer cocktails. Style it up or down with cool shoes and jewelry for a million different looks.
7. Citizens of Humanity high-rise denim shorts, $80 (orig. $160): Denim shorts have been a staple in our summer wardrobes since, oh, 1988 (we're old). This year, we're experimenting with high-waisted shorts. Even though they feel kind of weird, there are two total perks to wearing them: they hold our tummies in (they're like their own control-top underwear, kind of) and they make our butts look great.
8. Stella McCartney oversized denim top, $197.50 (orig. $395): A totally chic, somehow very French, throw-on-and-go-to-the-market sort of shirt. Pair with an understated straw hat for max effect. Not for everyone, but if you can rock it, it looks fab.
9. Rosa Cha striped bandeau bikini top, $84 (orig. $140): We're really into mix-and-match bikini tops and bottoms this year, and love that this super-colorful Rosa Cha halter number is on sale. Reminds us of Brazil.
10. Marni set of two brass flower brooches, $177.50 (orig. $355): The brooch is, in our opinion, one of the most underrated accessories in the 21st century. Wear these Marni pieces on white shirts, T-shirts, black dresses, coats—anywhere you can stick 'em. They add instant chic everywhere they go.
11. Jets by Jessika Allen celebration-printed bandeau swimsuit, $150 (orig. $250): A big trend we're seeing this year are swimsuits that definitely aren't made for swimming—just for looking fabulous while lounging. This is one of those swimsuits.
12. See by Chloe multi-strap leather sandals, $172.50 (orig. $345): Totally utilitarian, but still flattering and kind of cool (all that hardware!). These are a great everyday and weekend casual sandal that look like they can take a beating.
13. Marc by Marc Jacobs leather sandals, $165 (orig. $275): Chic, comfortable-looking flat sandals in patent. #winning
14. See by Chloe peep toe leather and wooden wedges, $117.50 (orig. $235): Wedge slides are our shoe of choice this summer and we totally love these understated not-quite-brown not-quite-beige shoes from See by Chloe.
15. Stella McCartney rope and faux-leather sandals, $180 (orig. $360): Seriously, if we could furnish our entire shoe wardrobe in sandals, we would (even though it wouldn't be too practical). We love this year's jute rope looks, and this pair from animal-lover Stella McCartney boast the perfect shape (not too chunky, not too ropey), and are flat—which equals easy walkability.
· Net-a-Porter [Official Site]