Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Nespresso Citiz Automatic Espresso Machine ($279.99), Bed Bath & Beyond
- Slider Grilling Basket ($29.95), Williams Sonoma
- KitchenAid "Artisan" 5 Quart Tilt Head Stand Mixer ($299), Bloomingdale's
- All-In-One Stereo System by Genevasound ($299), ABC Carpet & Home
- Breville Ikon 5-Speed Juicer ($199.95), Sur la Table
- Cuisinart Dual-Zone Wine Cellar ($300),
- Shark Garment Care Steamer ($59.99),
- Cuisinart 6.5 qt. Digital Slow Cooker ($99.95), Crate&Barrel
- Waring Professional WO50 Wine Opener ($39.99), Macy's
- Breville Panini Duo Press ($69.95), Sur la Table
- Tibos Electric Crêpe Maker ($149.95), Williams Sonoma
- Shark Vacuum Then Steam Mop ($149.99), Bed Bath & Beyond
Picking out appliances to register for can be a little daunting. After all, how do you decide between the things that you actually need—like a blender for margaritas—and the things that you just kind of want, like a $1,200 Ice-cream maker. And who's to say that your dream appliances can't be a little bit practical? Have a look after the jump of our top twelve appliances worth making it to your registry.
1. Nespresso Citiz Automatic Espresso Machine ($279.99), Bed Bath & Beyond. You already have a coffee machine, so use your wedding day to get an espresso machine for those mornings when one—or two—cups of coffee just isn't enough.
2. Slider Grilling Basket ($29.95), Williams Sonoma. We don't know if this totally counts as an "appliance," but how else are you going to cook twelve perfectly square (and perfectly cute) mini burgers for your friends?
3. KitchenAid "Artisan" 5 Quart Tilt Head Stand Mixer ($299), Bloomingdale's. With a color like "Aqua Sky," this blender might remind you of being a kid in your mother's kitchen. Whether this memory is a fond one, however, might influence your decision to add it to your list.
4. All-In-One Stereo System by Genevasound ($299), ABC Carpet & Home. The smallest hi-fi system from genevasound still boasts "full-sized high fidelity." Perfect for docking your iPod, putting it on shuffle, and hearing parts of songs you never knew were in there.
5. Breville Ikon 5-Speed Juicer ($199.95), Sur la Table. Juicing can be hard, what with all that upper body strength required to squeeze just one half of an orange. This baby does it all for you, and it does it in five seconds flat.
6. Cuisinart Dual-Zone Wine Cellar ($300), Saks Fifth Avenue. This cellar stores wine at temperatures fit to "preserve their integrity," can fit up to twelve bottles, and is perfect for whites, reds, and even champagnes.
7. Shark Garment Care Steamer ($59.99), Target. A steamer is one of those things you've always known you've needed, but never had the room for a giant stand-up one. Behold, the tiny but mighty Shark steamer.
8. Cuisinart 6.5 qt. Digital Slow Cooker ($99.95), Crate&Barrel. Some things just need to be cooked slowly, and for that, you need a slow cooker. This one's digital, so you won't have to keep opening up the lid to taste it to see if it's ready—but feel free to do that, too, if you'd like.
9. Waring Professional WO50 Wine Opener ($39.99), Macy's. This cordless corkscrew can open a bottle of wine in mere seconds, and will make the days of splashing red wine on your white shirt after a vigorous cork-yanking a thing of the past.
10. Breville Panini Duo Press ($69.95), Sur la Table. No butter or oil required for this panini maker. Just some bread, meat, and veggies to turn into the perfect panini.
11. Tibos Electric Crêpe Maker ($149.95), Williams Sonoma. Broaden your breakfast horizons with this crêpe maker, with a non-stick surface and grooves designed for even spreading.
12. Shark Vacuum Then Steam Mop ($149.99), Bed Bath & Beyond. This two-in-one doubles as a vacuum and a steam mop, which will actually clean hardwood floors instead of just pushing the dust around, à la a Swiffer.
· All Weddings Week Coverage [Racked]