Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Fornasetti Theme & Variation Plates, $305
- Fornasetti Theme & Variation Plates, $185
- George Jensen Living cheese board and knife, $180
- Moser Crystal barware double old fashion glass, $135
- Hermes Balcon Du Guadalquivir China: tea cup & saucer, $140; bread & butter, $90; dessert, $105; dinner $140
- Christofle silver plate Vertigo Vertigo Ice bucket, $730
Have you ever wondered what the five most requested registry items are at some of top the country's top department stores? It's a question that keeps us up at night, seriously. That's why we've compiled this wedding registry guide just for you (okay, and for our inquiring minds too). It's filled with goodies from Barneys New York, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomingdale's. Nothing but the best.
Barneys New York's Chelsea Passage—that's the fancy name for the iconic department store's decorative homewares division—is a favorite wedding registry destination for both socialites and the super-fashionable. We've even heard rumors that fashion girls register there and, after the wedding, return their dishes and vases for store credit—which they then take to the shoe department for Louboutins and Balenciagas instead! Of course, we would never be so bold. Anyway, here are Barneys' top-5 most-registered-for items:
1. Fornasetti Theme & Variation Plates, assorted patterns, $185-$305
2. Georg Jensen Living cheese board and knife, $180
3. Moser crystal barware double old fashion glass, $135
4. Hermes Balcon Du Guadalquivir China: bread & butter, $90; dessert, $105; dinner $140; tea cup & saucer, $140
5. Christofle silver plate Vertigo Vertigo Ice bucket, $730
We asked Neiman Marcus for their most popular registry items and Russ Patrick, SVP and General Merchandise Manager of Gift Galleries, shared with us his top picks:
1."The little black dress" of dinnerware, 5-piece set $179): Simply Anna by Anna Weatherly is classic, elegant, and mixes beautifully with other salad and dessert plates to create interesting table settings.
2. Juliska White, $18-$124: This casual dinnerware is made in Portugal and sets a beautiful all-white table or can be mixed in with other patterns. It is both dishwasher and microwave safe.
3. Match Convivio, $65-$235: The romance of Italy is captured in this classic design. It goes well with both traditional and contemporary styles. $65-$235
4. Reidel wine glasses, $25-$30: These glasses, developed by a sommelier, are renowned for their ability to enhance the taste and bouquet of wine. The preferred glass of many wine connoisseur.
5. Michael Aram nut dish, $79: Michael Aram's background as an sculptor is evident in this lovely olive nut dish that represents peace. A perfect wedding gift for anyone on your list.
While Bloomingdale's doesn't report which registry items are most popular, we were able to talk with Joanna Kartalis, Director of The Registry, at Bloomingdale's and get her recommendations for the perfect Bloomie's wedding gifts, which covers everything from the kitchen to bedding:
1. Michael Aram Black Orchid Cake Stand, $225: A cast-metal cake stand from Aram's Black Orchid collection that takes inspiration from foliage around the world.
2. Julia Knight Classic Pagoda Bowl, $75: This handmade decorative mosaic bowl is constructed of sandblasted aluminum with inlaid mother of pearl tiles.
3. Juliska Berry & Thread 5-piece Place Setting, $85: Stainless steel and perfect for everyday use doesn't have to mean dowdy and boring. This Juliska place setting is whimsical and pretty—and comes in a bright satin finish.
4. Le Creuset 4.5 Quart Round Oven in Coastal Blue, $305: Le Creuset makes some of the best (and most durable) pots and Dutch ovens around—some, given as wedding gifts—have been known to outlast the marriages themselves. As a pretty bonus, they come in lots of pretty colors.
5. Hudson Park Italian Percale Bedding in Seaglass, $85 & Up: If we had to declare a color-that's-everywhere this summer, it's seafoam green—and this Hudson Park bedding captures the perfect shade, so you can feel like you're at the shore, even when you're not.
· Neiman Marcus [Official Site]
· Neiman Marcus [Official Site]
· The Registry at Bloomingdale's [Official Site]
· All Weddings Week posts [Racked]