Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Nikki in hair and makeup prior to Plus Model Magazine photo shoot.
- Audrey during her photo shoot.
- Audrey in Times Square.
- Audrey (L) is wearing the black and white dress that she has chosen for Fashion Week, and Leslie is excitedly critiquing it.
- Leslie, Tiffany, Nikki, Audrey before Jet Skiing.
- L to R: Nikki Gomez, Heather Roach, Audrey Curry, Leslie Medlik, Tiffany Bank.
- Leslie and Heather at singles mixer.
- Leslie and Nikki at singles mixer.
- Tiffany having hair and makeup touched up during photo shoot.
- Nikki posing with skinny model during heather feather photo shoot.
- Nikki, Heather, Leslie, Tiffany, Audrey posing for the camera in Miami Hotel suite.
With the average American women's dress size hovering around a 14, have you ever wondered why there aren't more plus-size (or, heck, even normal average women-sized) models and plus-size fashion designers or size-friendly brands on television? TLC is about to change that with the premiere of Big Sexy, a special three-part series on breaking into the plus-size fashion industry.
The show will follow five New York women—Leslie, Tiffany, Audrey, Nikki, and Heather—who are on a mission to mainstream plus-size fashion super-hotness. The release says:
From designing clothing to booking modeling gigs, BIG SEXY will follow the ladies as they take over Manhattan to make plus-size sexiness more mainstream. Weight bias is notoriously rampant in their chosen industries, and it is their mission to prove that a bigger girl—the girl that most Americans can relate to—can break the mold and change the fashion and cultural norms that have restricted and rejected them for so long.Throughout the series, the women will attend fashion industry events and the viewer will get a behind-the-scenes peek at each of the women's personal lives—including dating and family life. Big Sexy will premiere on TLC Tuesday, August 30th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
· TLC [Official Site]