Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Last month, we heard that Cosmopolitan was set to launch Cosmo For Guys as an iPad magazine this August. Today, courtesy of the folks at Hearst, we got a peek at the first issue—it's $3.99 and available for purchase in the iTunes stores. It's pretty mindblowing—and we're not just talking about the explicit audio content and graphic illustrations. Check out our top-ten favorite things about Cosmo For Guys:
10. It plays sex sounds and dirty talk, then decodes them for you. In case you were wondering what the specific sounds your girlfriend is making when you, you know, mean? Cosmo For Guys provides handy audio—complete with dirty talk (profanity is bleeped out, thanks Steve Jobs) and a full-on analysis of what it all means.
9. A video Interview—about dating!—with Kim Kardashian. If you've ever aspired to date Kim Kardashian—or woman you suspect may have Kardashian's tastes—then you must check out her five-part video interview in Cosmo For Guys where she answers questions including: What's the hottest part of a man's body? Where should a dude take a woman on a first date? And, most importantly: "Fill in the blank: I would dump a guy if he ______."
8. It tells you what women think of your outfit. The editors over at Cosmo For Guys have really gone out of their way to tap into a great resource that's readily at their disposal—their millions of Cosmopolitan readers. For its first Will She Like It? feature, they've polled women on men's wardrobe items—fedoras, cropped blazers, fitted hoodies, cardigans, cargo pants, board shorts, pink button-downs, and more—to find out what women really think about those items in your wardrobe.
7. A naked comedian makes fun of men's trends. Yes, she is naked, and it's a video, and she makes fun of your goatee.
Is she stepping out on you?
6. Gauge your girlfriend's cheating potential. Things we love: flowcharts. Thing we love in the new Cosmo For Guys: the interactive flowchart to figure out whether your girlfriend has something going on on the side.
Note to future boyfriends: less tech, more jewelry please
5. The choose your own adventure-style gift guide for women. Pick your relationship status, type of gift (mood: romantic, cool, or silly/useful), and cost and voila, the Cosmo For Guys app will spit out an appropriate gift that fulfills all your requirements. Our only gripe? The gifts tend to skew tech-y. If you really want to score points with your lady, always choose the "Romantic" category.
Perfect date movie: Captain America or Friends With Benefits?
4. Its livefeed of what women are thinking. Ever wonder when you should call a girl after a great date? What about picking a movie for a first date? Or what sort of background music she wants to hear when you're, ahem. Check out this amazing Read her Mind livefeed from Cosmo.com, where women are answering these questions in real time 24/7—and their answers are being fed directly to your iPad.
60% of women in the northeast apparently like nipple-biters
3. Nipple biting or no nipple biting? Depends on your geography. Good thing this Cosmo For Guys magazine is on your iPad and, therefore, super-portable—you'll need its handy CFG Sex Map whenever you travel, just in case you get embroiled in a steamy situation in, say, Idaho, and don't know whether you should employ nipple-biting in your foreplay repertoire. With the app, you can just click on "Nipple Biting: Hot or Not?" and Cosmo For Guys will let you know whether you're in a region of the US where women like that sort of thing.
Oh, that's where it goes.
2. 3-D sex position illustrations. Is your textbook copy of the Kama Sutra too 2-D for you? Can't figure out where your right thigh's meant to go? Cosmo For Guys' 3-D Sex Positions feature saves the day! Just click on your acrobatic of choice and rotate to get a 360-degree view. Remember, good form is important for preventing injuries.
Look ma, no hands!
1. It reads sex stories out loud to you. Here's something that tech definitely has over the printed page: audio content. In the Women Uncensored section, this month's straight-from-the-source anecdotes are about "My Hottest Sexual Experience Ever"—and the feature includes 16 tap-to-listen sex stories. Think: Letters to Penthouse, hands-free edition.
· Cosmo For Guys, $3.99 an issue [iTunes]
· Cosmo For Guys will launch August 1st [Racked]