Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We're guilty of it too: Schleping everything you own in one giant bag. Sure, the clunkiness is acceptable if you're carrying your computer for work, but really, do you need to take all that crap with you to Sunday brunch? Here's our list of 14 bags that are reason enough to put an end to toting around your entire life.
1. Marc By Marc Jacobs "Bianca Jane On A Leash," $345 at Harrods: This inconspicuous little number is book-shaped, so you could fit a slim novel in there, along with your wallet and a few other necessities.
2. Elie Saab "Wave" clutch, $749 at Boutique1: A clutch really only needs to be big enough to fit a few credit cards, some makeup, and since you probably won't be wearing pockets with that gown, a cellphone.
3. Proenza Schouler "PS1" small leather satchel, $1,405 at Net-a-Porter: The baby size PS1.
4. ASOS "Small Ticking Stripe" satchel, $14 at ASOS: One of the more practical bags on the list, this one's good for tossing in sunscreen and a pair of flip-flops for an impromptu beach trip.
5. Gucci "Red Libeccio Textured Leather" small handbag, $2,255 at Profile: With a price tag that hovers over two grand, you might not have too much money left to spend on what goes inside.
7. Mulberry "Small Baywater Satchel" in Oak Silky Snake Print, $1,150 at Mulberry: Not much justification needs to be made for a small Mulberry bag, and this one's still big enough to fit what you need (and some things you don't).
8. Chloé "Marcie" small leather satchel, $640 at Net-a-Porter: This Wild West–looking Chloé bag has a convenient flat for easy access to just a few of your things.
9. Dorothy Perkins wrislet, $12 at Dorothy Perkins: This clutch is big enough that you won't forget about it when you set it down (done that), but small enough to not look like you're carrying around a fancy computer case.
10. Marc By Marc Jacobs small leather crossbody, $325 at Harrods: Because when a cream-colored bag gets dirty when it's big, it's more obvious.
11. Givenchy "Pandora" small shoulder bag, $1,440 at Luisaviaroma: The depth of this bag and it's double openings give you more room to store than you may initially think.
12. ASOS "Pieces Dertan" small flap satchel, $66 at ASOS: Let's face it: That top strap is too small to carry it on your arm as if it were a medium-size tote, but this does work as an easy throw-over-your-shoulder mini.
13. Jerome Dreyfuss "Momo" small brushed-leather shoulder bag, $500 at Net-a-Porter: Perfect for a rustic trip outdoors, when bringing a giant satchel would be obnoxious of you.
14. Vivienne Westwood small fabric bag, $168 at thecorner.com: You can maybe fit your phone in here and one other thing, so choose wisely. But the print's too cute in tiny-version to pass up.