Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- A selection of Nike's latest snowboard boots.
- The footwear room inside Nike's Rockaway11 house.
- The paint-your-own shirt room.
- Nike Legacy boardshort, $125.
- Nike's surf and swim collection.
- Nike tent on Rockaway beach
- A Nike representative showing how they took the Nike Free technology from their running shoe and used it for a snowboard boot.
- Nike boardshorts.
- Just a surfboard used as a coffee table.
- Pro surfer Matt Keenan & his team gave surfing lessons.
- There were bikes available to ride along the boardwalk or maybe a trip to Rockaway Taco.
- Sand-filled backyard for BBQ that was open to the public.
Nike 6.0 is the Oregon-based company's action sports division that offers clothing and footwear in the areas of surf, snow, ski, BMX, moto, and wake. They recently sponsored the US Open of Surfing in Huntington Beach on the West Coast. Kelly Slater won by the way. Not wanting to leave the East Coast unattended, Nike rented a house on Rockaway Beach that was dubbed Rockaway 11. The house was open to the public as gallery, US Open screening, repair, and general "surf bungalow" for the community—many tend to also snowboard in the off season.
We got a sneak peek at their spring/summer 2012 collection for surf as well as their fall/holiday 2011 collection for snow. There's even a great sportswear collaboration with Steven Alan for summer 12, but unfortunately we couldn't take pictures due to an embargo. Rest assured, it's pretty sweet.
Some highlights include a snowboard boot ($350) that won a platinum award for bringing the Nike Free technology, which simulates bare foot running, to action sports footwear. The boot gives sturdy support for the ankle, but a soft bottom sole to maneuver the terrain. Also of note, Nike 6.0 snow outerwear is made from 80% recycled materials. On the surf side, the Legacy boardshort ($125) stood out. It has a flat stitch, four way stretch, and is DWR coated up to 25 washes. Aside from their competition version which is not available for retail, it's the most high-tech boardshort Nike makes.
· Nike 6.0 [Official Site]
· Rockaway 11 [Tumblr]