Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Now that it's the end of August, it's safe to say that the novelty of getting a pedicure every other week, well, has kind of worn off. And it's kind of a hassle. We've diligently worn sandals all summer, but now perhaps it's time to get into the groove of wearing flats and heels, since in a few months we'll be stuffing our dogs back into heavy socks with even heavier boots. Here's 12 of our favorite shoes that aren't sandals and that are conveniently available to purchase right now.
1. Jeffrey Campbell "Lita," $160 at SoleStruck: These clunky cosmic Jeffery Campbell lace-up heels are about as far away from sandals are you can get, and provide a bit of relief from boring black heels fatigue.
2. Miu Miu glitter-finish leather pumps, $630 at Net-a-Porter: And similarly, these Miu Miu heels are just as fun because they're entirely covered in gold glitter.
3. Belle by Sigerson Morrison suede flats, $195 at Madewell: Falling somewhere in-between the bedroom slipper and ballet flat trends, these Belle by Sigerson Morrison slip-ons make gliding into fall a piece of cake.
4. Topshop "Studd" suede platforms, $175 at Topshop: A little over the top, sure. But with shoes like these, you don't really have to put too much thought into the rest of your outfit.
5. Fendi "Mademoiselle" ballerina flats, $440 at Pret-a-Beaute: Simple and classic, just like expensive flats should be.
6. Giuseppe Zanotti pump, $695 at Giuseppe Zanotti: These Giuseppes kind of look like saltwater taffy, which might not be something we'd normally want on our feet—but we'll make an exception.
7. Nicholas Kirkwood for Erdem silk jacquard platform pump, $860 at Nordstrom: And just so that there's something a bit vampy on the list, we give you these Nicholas K bright red pumps—in silk.
8. Rachel Zoe "Eva" wedge pump, $395 at Intermix: Well, maybe these you can't buy right now, but almost: They're currently up for pre-order at Intermix. But you'll have to fork over your credit card number, so we think they count.
9. Jessica Simpson "Colie" heel, $100 at Heels.com: Oh Jessica Simpson. Every now and then you make a shoe that causes us to do a double-take. We're comfortable enough with ourselves to admit that we kind of like these.
10. H&M lace-up shoes, $36 at H&M: H&M isn't really known for making the most durable footwear, but at only $36, you can wear them a few times and then not feel bad about it if and when they fall apart.
11. Giuseppe Zanotti platform pumps, $650 at Bloomingdales: Any shoe with a built in ankle strap to prevent busting your ass from happening deserves to be on the list.
12. Kors Michael Kors "Olivia" flat, $268 at Harrods: And then you can return back to solid ground, five inches shorter, in these basic Michael Kors flats.