Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Ever wonder how fashion bloggers manage to get just the right shot of their street style candidates, the crowds at fashion week, and themselves? Although we can't guarantee you'll be an expert after reading, we've asked ten of our favorite fashion bloggers to tell us what kind of cameras they most often like to shoot with.
1. Yvan Rodic: The man behind the street style and party photography blog Facehunter reveals that he uses a Canon G12 point-and-shoot camera for most of his work, which can be purchased on Amazon for $468.99.
2. Bryan Boy: Bryan Boy has become one of the most influential bloggers in the industry, thanks to his eponymoussite. By chronicling his sartorial adventures, he keeps his readers alert through a visual diary of fashion happenings around the world. He uses a Canon 5D Mark II for most of the shows that he attends, which can be bought at B&H Photo for $2,499.
3. Mordechai Rubinstein: Mordechai's blog Mister Mort is a men's fashion blog that focuses on well-dressed people Rubinstein encounters. He captures the eclectic styles of his subjects—many of whom are dressed in thrift and vintage clothing—with his Olympus Ep1 ($399.95 at Amazon.com) on a nice day, and on a normal day, he uses a Panasonic Lumix LX 2 ($999.77 at Amazon.com).
4. Tommy Ton: Tommy Ton, the super-famous street style photographer who keeps an ongoing archive of his work at Jak & Jil, uses a Nikon D5000 to capture stylish folks all around the world. You can get a D5000 refurbished for around the $500 mark at stores including Adorama, or get the new D5100 for $899.95 at Calumet.
5. Misha Janette: Expat Misha Janette's blog Tokyo Fashion Diaries covers Japan's fashion scene in both English and Japanese—it features Japanese street style and reviews fashion events around the world. Janette shoots with a Panasonic Lumix GF 1, which you can pick up, complete with a lens for $999.99 at 42nd Street Photo.
6. Elizabeth Spiridakis: Named one of the top-20 fashion blogs by the Telegraph UK, Spiridakis' White Lightning captures all of Elizabeth Spiridakis' self-styled (awesome) looks (and more). While other bloggers use digital SLRs, Spiridakis likes to use her iPhone ($199+ depending on contract) and an Instagram app to shoot her looks—oftentimes, in the mirror.
9. Street Etiquette: Started by Travis Gumbs and Joshua Kissi, the blog Street Etiquette focuses on urban heritage looks. The duo shoot their amazing photos with a Canon 7D, $1,599 at Amazon.com, topped off with a 35 mm 2.0 lens.
10. Wendy Lam: Founded in 2006, Wendy Lam's fashion blog Nitrolicious was one of the first fashion sites to emerge from the personal style blogger scene. Today, Wendy captures street style and fashion presentations with her Canon 5D Mark II ($2,499 at B&H) and a Canon 50mm f/1.2 L Lens ($1,499 at Amazon.com).— David Chen
· 10 Visually-Stunning Photography Blogs to Watch [Racked]