Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Online retailer ASOS just released its brand-new fall iPad magazine, and it is gorgeous—and shoppable, which we love. Here are six awesome features from inside the trenches:
1. Heralding the return of the grunge-skater girl. Lace-up boots, big plaids, puffa jackets, printed leggings, rough-and-tumble knits, beanies, oversized T-shirts, and skateboards. What's not to love?
2. Bring back the quiff. Another too-cool bad-girl 90s-noughties habit (see grunge skater, above) we can't kick—the super-cowlick. Reminds us of Johnny Depp in Crybaby. Looks great with dark, smoky eyes.
3. One-girl band Charli XCX and her friends. If we were forced to rank the world's teenage population in order of cool, London's would definitely be in the top-5, if not top-3, for sure. This issue of ASOS magazine profiles Charli XCX—who started playing underground clubs at age 14 (!?)—and her gang of friends.
4. The flat slipper trend. Thing we love but are definitely over: the ballerina flat. Thing we love: the new, flat, menswear-inspired slipper trend. We're looking forward to happy feet this fall.
5. This really great vintage-inspired bowler bag. 100% We want this for fall. It's a buckle-clip-closure doctor/bowler/handyman type bag in the perfect medium brown. And it's a snip at under $200.
6. This fall's key pieces shopping list. Things to look out for this autumn-winter: a collarless coat (so ladylike!), a metallic clutch, pegged trousers, simple knit pullovers, classic red pumps, a mid-length dress, pencil skirts, statement coats, mid-stack-heel knee-high boots (brown, of course), knocker earrings, and sequin shift dresses. And you're all set.
· ASOS magazine [iTunes]