Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Super-hottest of hot editors, Teen Vogue's Mary Kate Steinmiller, got us all matching neon friendship bracelets -- just like real summer camp.
- The bunks at Ruschmeyer's. Looks like Dirty Dancing, no?
- Tie-dying festivities
- Dinner at Surf Lodge -- Two of our Hottest Editors are in this photo, can you spot them?
- Dinner at Surf Lodge.
- The fire pit at Surf Lodge on Saturday night.
- An editor paddleboarding on Fort Pond. We didn't want to take any close-up identifiable shots of editors paddleboarding. Industry courtesy.
- That box on the right is a voice recorder.
- Ruschmeyer's welcomes guests with a compass.
- Organic products in the bathrooms.
- The bikes we rode around town.
- We cut T-shirts.
- We tie-dyed too, just like real camp.
- More tie-dying.
- Lobster roll from the truck.
- The band Caveman did a set. They're pretty awesome.
- Allegedly, there are spiders in these baskets.
- Cucumbers floating in a carafe = mesmerizing
This weekend, while teenagers from around the country were forking over thousands of dollars to attend something called Fashion Camp NYC in Manhattan, about a dozen actual working fashion editors—including three of Racked's hottest-of-hot Hot Editors—hightailed it out of town to Montauk for Camp Alternative Apparel 2011, the clothing and accessory label's annual Hamptons getaway. This year, we stowed away aboard the Jitney to Ruschmeyer's, the just-opened summer-camp-themed hotspot that comprises about two dozen bungalow-type rooms and a restaurant run by the guys from Silkstone and the Fat Radish, Phil Winser and Ben Towill (executive chef Greg McCarty. Ruschmeyer's is a dead ringer for that resort in Dirty Dancing, by the way.
Things we did at Camp Alternative Apparel 2011: paddleboarded on Fort Pond (we actually refused to stand up on the board until the blonde surfer-guy instructor promised he'd buy us a beer afterward), tie-dyed Alternative Apparel T-shirts (btw, hot editor David Thielebeule is a total tie-dye fiend—we're thinking, collaboration with Proenza?), ate dinner at Surf Lodge and saw the Cavemen, and got amazing massages at Ruschmeyer's Wellness Center (amazing, not camp-like at all, but it's a perk of being a grown-up). There were also plenty of after-dark shenanigans that we crossed our hearts and hoped to die pinky promised never to tell. Check out our gallery, above, for snaps from the long weekend away.
By the way, how is it August already? Fashion week is just around the corner.
· Alternative Apparel [Official Site]