Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
One of our most-worshipped fashion editors, Harper's Bazaar's Melanie Ward, talked to Self Service magazine about her must-haves for fashion week season—the crazy monthlong New York-London-Milan-Paris whirlwind of shows that's one short week away from kick-off. Obviously, her list (which appears after the jump) is fabulous—it includes Chanel over-the-knee boots, her secret personal fragrance, Balmain shirts, and long fringe earrings.
Here's what Ward needs to get through fashion week. We aspire.
1. Basic T shirts: A mix of Isabel Marant, American Apparel and vintage.· The Fashion Week [Self Service Blog]
2. Tailoring pieces from Blouson Noir and Karl Lagerfeld: They are timeless and they are very personal to me and any Balmain tailored jacket from last season because they are so chic and I love the proportions.
3. Chanel over-the-knee low-heel suede boots: Because I literally can run everywhere in them. Should I want to wear a heel, I pack both my favourite old Miu Miu and Azzedine lace up boots.
4. My fragrance that I cannot be without: I am told that it relaxes people when they are around me which is very good for fashion!
5. Balmain overdyed lurex shirts: Effortless and sexy.
6. Tank Louis Cartier watch: This was the first piece of jewelry that my parents bought me as a teenager and I recently got a new one as a gift.
7. Chanel long fringe earrings: For some glamour.
8. Vintage Halston leopard print clutch. It is well worn, well travelled and very loved and fits perfectly into my favourite Sofia Coppola for Louis Vuitton carry all.
9. Celine navy wool coat: Because it is perfection.
10. Classic silk pants with zip pockets that Narciso made for me that feel amazing when I wear them.
I do not have a specific wardrobe for fashion week. I just wear things that I am comfortable in. I am a very spontaneous packer and whatever I am feeling at the last minute gets thrown in.