Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Pan Am makes its television debut tonight on ABC at 10pm EST, and from the looks of the preview, it will absolutely make you wish you were a stewardess—in 1963, of course. To help ease the pangs of nostalgia for travel's golden days, here are 12 vintage- and retro-inspired looks fit for the most stylish flight.
1. Suzannah "Flame" retro dress, $685 at Suzannah: Sure, the Pan Am stewardesses wear uniforms on-flight, but what do you think they wear after hours, while say, dining with a pilot? Most likely, something body con.
2. Topshop black gingham bikini, $66 at Topshop: For stops overseas, here's a retro high-waisted gingham two-piece, perfect for soaking up some of that international sun.
3. Christian Dior printed silk-twill scarf, $96 at The Outnet: The silk scarf is an often-forgotten accessory, but a quick little knot around your neck—or tied on top of your head, if you really want to push the theme—can spruce up any plain outfit.
4. Lanvin "Sweet Dora GM Brief", $2,185 at Barneys: There's nothing old-fashioned about this Lanvin bag, what with the two-thousand dollar price tag. But luckily, the style of it is timeless.
5. Ray-Ban green lens classic gold aviator sunglasses, $195 at MyWardrobe.com: We can't talk aviation style without throwing in a pair of aviators. And when you're talking aviators, best to go with the most classic lenses: Ray-Ban.
6. Mulberry "Polly Push Lock" leather gloves, $220 at Net-a-Porter: Perfect for keeping your look polished and your hands warm after those chilly Atlantic flights.
7. Jeffrey Campbell "Sassy" shoes, $145 at SoleStruck: A thick wooden platform was a '60s staple. Here, a turquoise pair from Jeffrey Campbell.
8. Burberry Prorsum camel coat, $3,685 at Matches: A camel coat keeps things simple and less-severe than a black one would. Keep the look intriguing by buttoning up the high-collar all the way up, and throwing on a pair of shades and a scarf (as in, that Dior one).
9. Oasis black "Zoe Skater" dress, $105 at Oasis: The full skirt on this dress is a flirty way—see, a '60s way—to do all black.
10. Mango "Retro-style" dress, $77 at House of Fraser: We had to include something that was just the right shade of flight-attendant blue. Plus, this simple shift is both flattering and easy-to-wear with just about anything else on this list.
11. Chanel vintage watch from What Goes Around Comes Around, $1,800 at Aloha Rag: A stewardess would have needed a small, elegant watch to keep track of time changes. This Chanel one would have done the trick.
12. Miu Miu V-cut glitter and suede open-toe pump, $595 at Miu Miu: We don't have much to say about these Miu Miu glitter pumps, except that they're Miu Miu glitter pumps and they're perfect.
· Pan Am [ABC]
· All Buy It Now Posts [Racked]