Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
With August officially over, it's time for that unpredictable summer-into-fall weather, when wearing those unusual combinations of chunky, heavy sweaters with shorts or lightweight cardigans with maxi skirts is completely acceptable and weather-appropriate. To take advantage of the handful of days when such attire actually works, have a look at 12 of our favorite sweaters that can carry you over from season to season, seamlessly.
1. Missoni sweater, $1,158 at Boutique1: This thick Missoni sweater is heavy enough on its own to keep you warm when the nights start to get chilly, so a pair of shorts or lightweight leggings should do the trick on the bottom.
2. Modekungen hole sweater, $79 at Modekungen: Don't count out this holey teal sweater because it looks so springy. By time winter rolls around, you'll be dying for some color.
3. Topshop knitted mohair "Cocoon" cardigan, $100 at Topshop: We have no problem getting lost in a giant sweater this fall, and the fact that this Topshop one is called "Cocoon" means it was meant to be.
4. Topshop knitted polar bear sweater, $92 at Topshop: Get a jump start on when things start to really get cold with this polar bear-emblazoned one.
5. Dorothy Perkins bobble handknit cardigan, $62 at Dorothy Perkins: Because fall wouldn't be complete without at least one Mr. Roger-esque cardigan.
6. Thakoon Addition textured knit pullover, $460 at La Garçonne: Since this one's so slouchy and easy, it's the simplest thing to throw on over any summer-to-fall getup.
7. Alexander McQueen tweed knit cardigan, $1,425 at Harvey Nichols: And this tailored McQueen number you can just live in.
8. See by Chloé open-knit wool turtleneck cape, $495 at Net-a-Porter: Perfect if paired with something short underneath, this Tibi cable-knit breaks up the monotony of run-of-the-mill sweaters by adding a high collar and sweatshirt-style pockets.
9. Tibi cable-knit sweater, $255 at Net-a-Porter: Here's something a little more girly that would be perfect matched with a pleated skirt or crisp, tailored shorts. Tucked in, of course.
10. 3.1 Phillip Lim cropped boxy pullover, $495 at La Garçonne: There's something to be said about a cropped boxy sweater, and that is, we'd love one.
11. Dorothy Perkins block stripe poncho $57 at dorothyperkins.com: Since regular cardigans as quick cover-ups can get kind of blah, try a poncho-style wrap to spice things up a bit.