Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
2012 has seen its fair share of scandals—and thank God, because what would the internet be without them. Of the many fashion industry trouble makers who made waves this year, we picked our top five:
1. Karl Lagerfeld. The Kaiser has been as prolific with his insults this year as he is with his collections, notably insulting Adele, before printing a public apology to the singer in le Metro. He hit up Pippa Middleton, too, saying he didn't like her face and that she should "only show her back." At which point the entire royal-loving public weighed in, and he eventually took it back.
2. Angelina Jolie's Right Leg. The red carpet tends to be one of fashion's most conservative destinations, so cheers to Angie's attention-hungry appendage, which managed to shake up an otherwise stodgy Awards ceremony, spawn an internet meme, and inspire countless Halloween costumes in the span of just a couple of hours.
3. Jennifer Eymere (a.k.a. The Zac Posen Slapper). It takes a lot to upstage a Naomi Campbell comeback, but Jennifer Eymere managed to do just that when she famously slapped a publicist at Zac Posen's Spring 2013 runway show, and then bragged about it to WWD with the immortal words, "Now you know you don't fuck with French people."
4. Cathy Horyn's Hotdog. The humble hotdog, that lowbrow foodstuff beloved of small children and baseball fans everywhere, took a spin in the fashion industry spotlight this year when critic Cathy Horyn accused designer Oscar de la Renta of, well, being one. De la Renta responded by calling Horyn a "three-day-old hamburger," which for some reason inspired Lady Gaga to weigh in, which elicited a snappy comeback from Horyn's boyfriend, Art Ortenberg. It was quite the fashion food fight.
5. Kate Upton's Boobs. And last but definitely not least, Kate Upton's boobs have had quite the year. After making the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, they then got this Zoo York ad banned from MTV for an allegedly erect nipple. And then they got themselves thrown off YouTube for this little Cat Daddy dance, before popping up in GQ and, most recently, with some baby chicks in CR Fashion book.
So, who was the biggest trouble maker of 2012?
· All Racked Awards coverage [Racked]