Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Carine Roitfeld came to New York yesterday to speak at the Alliance Francaise as part of a series about creativity. She was her usual quotable self as she described her multi-multi-hyphenate new roles as a global fashion director for Harper's Bazaar and the editor of her own project, CR Fashion Book, but she didn't mention her potential perfume project. She was full of quips and hilarious stories, but here are a few of the best:
1. "Today I'm wearing white shoes, and [I heard] in America you can't wear white shoes after Labor Day."
Carine was wearing "Gianvito Rossi pumps with metallic toecaps and heel tips," according to WWD. They were indeed white, and they looked awesome.
2. "If I had another life, I'd come back as a ballerina—I hear I have a good foot. It's the last pure sport around, there's no Nike or Coca-Cola [sponsorship] behind it."
Also, she's doing a ballet-based exercise program that she says has been awesome for her butt.
3. "To be a good model, you have to be very smart."
This probably explains why she works with Lara Stone so often.
4. "Karl Lagerfeld decided to come to my ball in Paris [for French Vogue's 90th anniversary] dressed in a burqa so he wouldn't be recognized ... he was arrested outside, so he didn't come to the party, but there were three our four people that came dressed as Karl Lagerfeld, so it made up for it in a way."
Burqas are illegal in France, hence the arrest. But obviously huge levels of meta aren't.
5. "When I'm on a plane it's very difficult to fill out my immigration paper. I don't know what to write for a job."
Wait, so "head bitch in charge" doesn't fit on the form?
· Carine Roitfeld Talks About New Harper's Bazaar Job at French Institute in New York [Daily Beast]
· Carine Roitfeld Gets a Second Job at Harper's Bazaar [Racked]
· Carine Roitfeld Is Doing a MAC Collab, Probably Still Hates Emanuelle Alt [Racked]