Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Just in time for the holidays, Birchbox surveyed their subscribers about gift buying preferences. While some of the results are more cute than anything else (ex. style-crushing on Rachel Bilson and red lipstick), some give insight into what people want for Christmas and how they're buying it, which ought to help focus your I-waited-til-the-last-minute shopping list. A few findings of note:
· Of the people who are giving beauty gifts this year, the majority are giving body products like lotions and scrubs, even though they'd prefer to get makeup for themselves.
· 56% plan to give Mom a beauty-related gift, like a certificate for a spa treatment.
· Saving used wrapping paper is a "don't", but the 49/51 split on regifting means you could end up with a gently loved gift this year.
· Giving somebody a gym membership is a very big "no," though, so save that one for Festivus.
· As for makeup, a majority of respondents say they wear more of it during the holiday season. Probably at office parties.
· 84% shop online. We expected the number to be even higher, honestly.
· What It Means If You Get Chanel No 5 for Christmas This Year [Racked]
· Birchbox Holiday Profile 2012 [Official Site]