Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Is it weird to open a box-set of S&M erotica in front of your grandma? You tell us. Amazon reports that the three books in E.L. James' Fifty Shades series were the top three sellers of the holiday season, which, we imagine, led to an awkward Christmas morning for many of you.
Other findings of note from Amazon's holiday shopping recap: NFL sports gnomes were a hot item, so you can expect to find them proliferating in gardens everywhere once the snow melts. The top three clothing items were all Levi's jeans for men. Uggs continues its reign at the top of the shoe category, and nose-hair trimmers were the number one personal care item sold this season. Also, the very last Christmas present shipped this year was a pair of Roxy Women's Hot Cocoa Slippers, which were ordered on December 22 at 11:52 p.m. PST and shipped to Fayetteville, GA. More highlights and fun facts after the jump.
· Amazon customers purchased enough copies of the "Fifty Shades" trilogy by E.L. James, including "Fifty Shades of Grey," "Fifty Shades Darker," "Fifty Shades Freed" and the trilogy box set, to create a stack 445 times taller than the Space Needle.
· The cumulative weight of the "Bond 50" Blu-ray sets purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season would be 800 times the weight of Daniel Craig.
· If each customer that purchased a copy of Just Dance 4 played the game for one hour, the total number of calories burned would equal half a million slices of fruitcake.
· If you stacked every Christmas Story Leg Lamp purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season, the height would reach the top of Mt. Everest.
· Amazon customers purchased enough sports team garden gnomes to fill every seat in Madison Square Garden.
· Amazon customers purchased enough Angry Birds plush toys to stretch 285 times the height of the tallest tree in the world, located in California's Redwood Forest.
· The holiday season's best-selling jewelry: "You Hold My Heart Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace.
· The holiday season's best-selling clothing shoes: UGG Australia Women's Classic Short Boot; Clarks Originals Men's Desert Boot; and TOMS Women's Canvas Slip-On.
· The three best-selling beauty products: HSI The Styler Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener; Set of 10 Nail Tape Stripe Decoration Sticker Hologram; and SHANY Professional 13-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch.
· And the number one health and personal care item: Panasonic Vortex Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer.